Not all schools have a FLO, it is at the Headteachers discretion to employ one. Schools that do employ a FLO will use this resource to fit the school’s individual needs. At Callis Grange the child’s well-being is paramount and a priority, Mrs Joulianou’s role is to support families and be the link between them and school.
Our FLO will offer support in a number of ways to ensure each and every child obtains the very best outcomes and achieves their potential. She has over twenty years experience of working with families and young children. Here are some of the FLO’s roles within the school:
Attendance and Punctuality
1. Our FLO works with families to ensure good attendance allowing children to access schooling regularly and arrive on time. If a family experience difficulties, Mrs Joulianou will work with them to help resolve any issues.
2. Mrs Joulianou works closely with outside agencies such as the Callis Grange Children Centre and local organisations to help offer any support needed to our families.
Offering Family Support is a vital role for Mrs Joulianou and she makes herself available to families needing support or facing difficulty, for example, housing, benefit advice etc.
Mrs Joulianou may receive a referral from teaching staff or from parents themselves and will work closely with families until issues are resolved. Mrs Joulianou is a fully qualified counsellor for both adults and children.
First Aid and Medical Care
3. At Callis Grange we have many First Aiders. Mrs Joulianou organises their training and keeps the stock up to date. She works with families to set up Medical Care Plans or update existing ones and liaises with the school nursing service.
4. Our FLO manages the school Breakfast Club. She is responsible for admissions, updating and liaising with parents and the Breakfast Club menu.
Children’s Emotional Support
5. Sunbeams is an emotional support programme for children dealing with a range of painful transitions. This takes place as need dictates.
6. Healthy Schools is an important focus at Callis Grange and Mrs Joulianou attends the Healthy Working Group meetings and does all she can to support the Healthy Schools Action Plan.
Nearly New Uniform Shop
7. Mrs Joulianou runs the nearly new school uniform shop and keeps the stock cupboard well stocked by sorting through donations received ready to sell at minimum cost.